I know, I know it has been a while since I have written, but I have a great excuse! Want to hear it? Well I will tell you…. It’s my kids they are time suckers, but the truth of the matter is that I am a dedicated mother and I allow my personal time to slip away if it benefits my children. Plus it is summer time and I am enjoying the warm heat before the cold winter is here before I know it!
Something that is new about me is that I am now a clean eater I am trying my best to cut a lot of the junk food out of my diet and I am also trying to make time to exercise and hopefully shed about 25lbs before the year is over. We shall see. So since it is recipe Tuesday I have a couple of new “clean eating” recipes one dinner and one dessert that I would like to share with all of you. I had it them other day and it was AMAZING. I hope all of you are able to try it and like it as much as my family and I did!
P.S. Feel free to comment below I would love to know how you like it if you try it!
Grilled Cilantro Chicken with Pickled Tomato and Avocado Salsa
- 1 pound medium beefsteak-type tomatoes, quartered, seeds squeezed out
- 2 serrano chiles, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 firm-ripe avocados, cut into 3/4-in. chunks
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 chicken breast halves with bone and skin (2 1/2 lbs. total)
- 1. Make salsa: In a bowl, combine tomatoes, chiles, and green onions. In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring vinegar to a boil. Add sugar and salt and cook, stirring, until dissolved, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Put ginger, garlic, and dry spices in a bowl. In another medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until rippling. Add ginger mixture and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Remove from heat, stir in seasoned vinegar, and pour over tomato mixture.
- 2. Let salsa cool, then cover and chill at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours. About 1 hour before serving, stir avocados into salsa and bring to room temperature.
- 3. Make chicken: In a large bowl, combine olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, cumin, salt, and pepper. Turn chicken in mixture to coat. Let stand at room temperature, turning occasionally, for 30 to 45 minutes.
- 4. Prepare a grill for high heat (450° to 550°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above cooking grate only 2 to 4 seconds). Lift chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and grill chicken (cover gas grill), turning often to prevent scorching, until no longer pink in center, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 5. Transfer chicken to a platter and spoon salsa on top, saving half of liquid for another use (such as salad dressing).
And Then for Dessert:
Skinny Fudge Brownies
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
Serving size: 1/12 of pan
- 1 cup white flour or substitute with 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup granulated Splenda
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup 1% milk
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 egg white slightly beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp M&Ms for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a medium sized bowl, beat sugar, brown sugar, Splenda, milk, egg, egg white, and applesauce with a spoon until well mixed.
- Stir wet mixture into dry mixture until blended.
- Spread mixture evenly into pan. Carefully top mixture with M&Ms before placing in oven.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes until edges are brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Info and Tips
Per Serving (1/12th of pan):
WWP: 3 points